Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Enigma of Grace

Jesus is an enigma. He is in a category all by Himself. There is no one like Him. He not only had the facts... He is the truth. He was not just a man... He was, Is and forever will be deity.

People joke about Him and take His name in vain. I understand why. Worshiping a man at face value seems ridiculous... after all isn't he like us.... just a man? Even those walking with Him could not fathom who He was. The people of the day tried to trip Him up in His own words because He was so right that they just could not stand it.

In John 5 Jesus said, 'If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.'

"The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true.
Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go.
Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.
And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.
It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true.
I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me." John 8:13-18

Jesus represents a kind of order that defies categorization. It can only be categorized by itself. The natural man may cry 'circular logic' and wag a finger at us. Let them. It is circular like the sun circles the Earth or like the seasons rotate and repeat. Truth replicates itself again and again because of the life within it.

Grace provides that same magnitude of order. Jesus is the pure manifestation of both grace and truth. On one level grace doesn't make sense but on another it is the only thing that makes sense. I don't marvel that people mock it and don't understand it. I marvel when they do get it... when I do.

As children of God we have an order that has depth that can not be seen at face value.

"Or was it from you that the word of God came? Or are you the only ones it has reached?
If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord.
If anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized.
So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.
But all things should be done decently and in order." 1 Cor 14:35-40 ESV

Do you have to be Jesus in order to live in the authority of what He said? No you don't. Are you the only one who knows anything because truth has been imparted to you? Good question.

The mystery of Christianity is the incredible authority of what is said by the most humble of people. A great theologian can blush and return to His office only to drop on His knees and repent after a short conversation with His spirit filled gardener.

There is a decency and order to love. A life filled with grace and truth has that order. Someone who doesn't have it is not excluded. This kind of life doesn't exclude. That person just isn't recognized. Love is recognized. Christ is recognized. Christ in Spanish, or German, or Korean or even English is recognized.

God, fill me with Your Spirit today so that I might live in this grand enigma that is the Christian life... not a form of godliness or some high minded theological framework absent of humility but the powerful authority of Christian communion and fellowship. Let Jesus be my focus. Give me words of life bathed in grace and truth. I want people to see Jesus. He is the only explanation needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment