Thursday, November 29, 2018

A City Set On A Hill

Last night I woke up and texted myself 'Light on a Hill' and went back to sleep. (texting myself is my go-to 'pen and paper' on the nightstand method). This morning I started thinking of the qualities of a 'light on a hillside' and realized I was a bit off base once I looked up the passage.

"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." - Matthew 5:14-16 ESV

Wow. Our faith is a city on a hillside. 'The Faith' that is being manifested through a believer is light in this world. The definite article (the) before faith seems to say that this light is the only light there. It stands alone in a dark region. Amazing.

This city can't be hidden. Scouts that pass through the region see a city like that and mark it on their mental maps. Different people have different motives for canvassing the land but no matter what the reason is... a city like that can't be hidden.

'...In the same way, let your light shine before others...'

Perhaps we want to be visible to some and invisible to others but it doesn't work that way.

I inwardly rejoice at negative reactions from people who know where I stand and react to me because of it.

A wise friend and I were talking about a believer we know who has gone into eternity (Ray Kurowski) and how imperfect men have made such an eternal impact on our world. Flawed men. Men who not many people on Earth knew but they may not have left a large imprint out on the internet but they were and are 'the light of the world'.

Unknown on Earth but well known in Heaven.

You may not know or see the impact you have but scouts mark you on their map as a landmark because the light in and around you is visible to those who pass by.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment