Thursday, January 19, 2017

Reading And Rereading Jeremiah Chapter 30 - 31

This morning I am reading chapter 30 and 31 of Jeremiah and I am marveling at God's mind.

There is so much here in these chapters. His people are in a bad state but God doesn't abandon them. He Is neither liberal or conservative. I read it again and again and I marvel at the loyal unsentimental love of God for His people.

"The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD: 'Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel: Write in a book all the words that I have spoken to you. For behold, days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will restore the fortunes of my people, Israel and Judah, says the LORD, and I will bring them back to the land that I gave to their fathers, and they shall take possession of it.' These are the words that the LORD spoke concerning Israel and Judah:" - Jeremiah 30:1-4 ESV

What comes after this is really shocking. Israel and Judah are almost described as rebellious teenagers who keep getting in trouble and God is a Father who Is determined to see His child grow up into a prosperous adult.

This book was written long ago but Israel was in the news just this week and will be again and again. That land is our object lesson. Those people are God's people.

Amazing.

One thought before I close...

"Thus says the LORD: 'Keep your voice from weeping, and your eyes from tears, for there is a reward for your work, declares the LORD, and they shall come back from the land of the enemy. There is hope for your future, declares the LORD, and your children shall come back to their own country. I have heard Ephraim grieving,

'You have disciplined me, and I was disciplined, like an untrained calf; bring me back that I may be restored, for you are the LORD my God. For after I had turned away, I relented, and after I was instructed, I struck my thigh; I was ashamed, and I was confounded, because I bore the disgrace of my youth.'

Is Ephraim my dear son? Is he my darling child? For as often as I speak against him, I do remember him still. Therefore my heart yearns for him; I will surely have mercy on him, declares the LORD." - Jeremiah 31:16-20 ESV

The KJV has Ephraim saying 'turn me and I will be turned' and I like that phrase.

We all need restoration from time to time. We need God to change our mind.

"For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing." - Romans 7:19 ESV

We need restoration. We need grace. We need someone who is never ever going to give up on us.

God is that person. Jesus came from Heaven to connect us to the God who will never give up on us.

Thank You Lord. You are the one who restores. You are the Saviour. You are the gentle healer.

Restore Lord! Restore us. Restore the people around us. Turn the stubborn. Bring us into the land that is our heritage. Thank You Lord.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment