Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Too Great And Too Marvelous

"A Song of Ascents. Of David. O LORD, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, hope in the LORD from this time forth and forevermore." - Psa 131:1-3 ESV

A Song of ascent is one of the songs sung on the way to Jerusalem as Israel parades together for one of the annual feasts. This is a short song likely sung again and again as a kind of chorus.

As I read this morning I ask myself, 'What are these great and marvelous things?' They aren't science or math nor are they heaven or Hell. On a natural scale, those could be considered great. Love is not on the list. Hope is not a marvelous thing... not in the way the psalmist is speaking about it. The last passage explains that to us. We are instructed to hope in the character, nature and person of the LORD.

The word great is gadowl (Strong's H1419) and it talks about surpassing greatness. When Ali said, 'I am the greatest!' it could be translated with this word. Marvelous is pala (H6381) and it is an act beyond one's power that causes people to marvel. A sunset is marvelous.

The psalmist says that we are to calm and quiet our soul instead of occupying ourselves with these matters. The weaned child has reached a point of maturity where it does not scream for its food in panic. This child has recognized mom's schedule. Food is coming soon. The hungry little belly will be full again soon. Mom is faithful.

This morning I don't want to just list these great and marvelous things. I want God to tell me and you. I want grace and mercy to break my heart and soften my eyes. I want to look at the LORD and go in a parade-like attitude to His throne of grace to gaze at Him and listen to His words. The world and the unknown future become small there because of the glory I am beholding as my body sits on Earth but my mind and heart worship in a high marvelous Heaven.

Perhaps I have a hungry belly but I am a weaned child. Jesus is Lord. He handles things. The Father feeds me. God has a good plan.

Today I plan to sing the song of grace and mercy with joy and each chorus will have joyful variations. Jesus is Lord and He knows me. The king knows my name and has many meals planned out for the future.

Thank You God... really... I thank You and worship You. Keep us simple but daring and inquisitive. Soften our eyes and words. Strength us for what is coming. We trust You. We worship You.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment