Monday, July 20, 2015

A Monday Morning With The Tekoites

A certain people group in the Hebrew scriptures caught my eye this morning. The Tekoites.

"And next unto them repaired Meremoth the son of Urijah, the son of Koz. And next unto them repaired Meshullam the son of Berechiah, the son of Meshezabeel. And next unto them repaired Zadok the son of Baana.

And next unto them the Tekoites repaired; but their nobles put not their necks to the work of their Lord.

Moreover the old gate repaired Jehoiada the son of Paseah, and Meshullam the son of Besodeiah; they laid the beams thereof, and set up the doors thereof, and the locks thereof, and the bars thereof." - Nehemiah 3:4-6 KJV

These people are not mentioned very much in the scriptures. In 1 Chronicles 27 verse 9 we see Ira, the son of Ikkesh the Tekoite, who led a group of 24,000 to serve the king of Israel in the sixth month of each year. That was the tradition as it was outlined in verse 1 of that same chapter.

Then in 2 Samuel chapter 14 Joab sent for a wise woman of Tekoa and instructed her to pretend to be a widow and tell David a story that would convince the King to end Absalom's banishment. She succeeded.

Other than that I see no other mention of this people group in the scriptures.

It makes me think of people who are in their place but not in full agreement with their leadership. They labor but there is a disconnect. I am not making a value judgement about them. God saw fit to record the contributions that they made to Israel's history in scripture.

That was how a spent my morning. I looked for a people group in the scriptures and I'm not sure what the 'take away' is of my study.

I just want to live in grace. I'm not going to agree with everyone. The guy next to me may not be putting his shoulder into it the same way I am. The king may have issues with his son. Life is like that. I will live in grace knowing that my faith means something to God and there is a record of my life in Heaven.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment