Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Struggle To Press On

Press on. Consider. As citizen of Heaven we await a Savior from Heaven.

"Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. Only let us hold true to what we have attained. Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ," - Philippians 3:13-20 ESV

Like many people I sometimes struggle getting through a Bible reading in the morning... much like the resistance we can have to exercise in the morning... getting moving... pressing on. An object at rest needs energy applied to it to be put in motion. Objects in motion tend to stay in motion and take less effort, or energy, to move.

Here Paul says, 'Let my life, and those that walk in faith, catapult you into motion.'

Awaiting our Savior... fixing our eyes on Him draws us in like gravity or magnetism does for an object. The effort is not one of maintaining motion but one of maintaining focus and being a gardener of our thought life. We cast down thoughts that exalt themselves against the knowledge of God's character and Christ's Finished Work of redemption and cultivate a life in the scriptures and exposed to Godly teaching and examples so that seeds are being sown into our minds daily and tender shoots are watered moment by moment.

We open the book and sometimes fight our emotions and rebuke our familiarity. We read and reread if there seems to be no connection. We resist the urge to skip over 'less interesting passages' knowing that there in value in getting the flow of a thought even if the content of a particular passage does not interest us at the moment.

If we look in the Bible we find Jesus... not as we want Him to be but as He really is. That is the Jesus we must find. That is the Jesus who is looking for us... visiting us... living with us. He is the Jesus that can remain invisible if our God is our belly and our glory becomes our shame.

"My soul clings to the dust; give me life according to your word! When I told of my ways, you answered me; teach me your statutes! Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous works. My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word! Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law! I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I set your rules before me. I cling to your testimonies, O LORD; let me not be put to shame! I will run in the way of your commandments when you enlarge my heart!" - Psalms 119:25-32 ESV

Yes God. Yes. Yes.

I will run in the way of your commandments when you enlarge my heart... not before that... grace must impact my soul... I must be catapulted forward by your power. Do that today Lord. I trust You. I give myself to You afresh. I seek You knowing You seek me much more... Your desire and love is much more.

Thank you God.

Thank You.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment