Monday, July 7, 2014

Strength And Immunity

When I received Christ God gave me sanity. I would say 'restored my sanity' (I was very messed up) but in truth I was never sane before like a was the days and weeks after receiving Christ. There was a newness and relief beyond anything I'd ever experienced.

In the back of my mind I thought strength would soon follow. I supposed that an immunity to things would come as well. Maybe not full immunity but a way out would be there that was just as good as immunity. If I was sick I could pray now and get better. I was re-gened as a new person who would never truly die. Surely this meant elevated influence and ability. I was not a conscious thought per se... more that it was in the back of my mind.

Sanity did give me strength in degrees because my self destructive nature no longer had free reign but far from being stronger I found myself more vulnerable. I did not realize that the strength I had admired before also incorporated callousness. A quality that if cultivated now interfered with my relationship with God. It was a trade off I wasn't willing to make.

I cared now and caring made me vulnerable.

No, In the twenty plus years since then strength has not followed neither has immunity. Moments of it perhaps... salvations from and in circumstances certainly... but not in the way I imagined... not because 'I' was powerful.

But, In time I was to discovered a new greater power far beyond what I dreamed of before.

God's Love.

Love flowing through me from God was something I had never known before. It is the most marvelous thing. Love flowing at me from God. Sensing Love. Loving when it made no sense.

One day when this corruptible puts on incorruptibility I expect to be strong and immune closer to the way I half imagined in those early days of my Christian walk. I'm sure it will be beyond what I could have possibility imagine... Still those things will never exceed the love I have right now.

Not my love. His love that belongs to me.

Love is our power. Love that flows in communion. Love manifested in fellowship. Love that loves the lovely and unlovely alike.

Love is the strength I never knew I needed. Because of Christ I will never again have to do without it.

"For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith - that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen." - Ephesians 3:14-21 ESV

--

No comments:

Post a Comment