Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Dressed Up In Our Minds

"Now so it was that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers. So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, 'Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously. And He said to them, 'Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father's business?' But they did not understand the statement which He spoke to them. Then He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them, but His mother kept all these things in her heart. And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men." Luke 2:46-52 NKJV

I really like Jesus' 'what did you expect attitude' here. It isn't teenage rebellion but it does show a clash of sorts. Jesus was sure of his identity but those around Him either didn't know or fully understand what that meant.

He submitted as the picture of meekness and humility but did not lose what he knew to be true. Something was added to Christ's Earthly life over time in that process.

I can berate myself mentally today. That may be my default way of thinking because of active or passive graceless voices that I heard growing up... or expectations of myself that fall short... I can undress myself... or I can dress myself up in my mind with a garment of righteousness.

"Do not let your adorning be external... but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious." - 1 Peter 3:3a-4 ESV

Christ put on the robe of His identity in His mind and when it came time to express it He did effortlessly. It was who He was.

We have a suit and tie to put on in Christ. We have a jewels heavy on our wrists and neck. Like an older generation that dresses up to go sit on the porch or make a trip to the store we can put on our identity derived from our Father this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment