Friday, April 26, 2013

Waves and Causes


"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?" Luke 9:24-25 ESV

This is a profound truth. A secret.

Life come at us in waves doesn't it? Sometime the waves are gentle and lap our toes and other times they pound our shores in a never ceasing rhythm.

We need a method of coping.

Like grieving people who have suffered great tragedy take up a cause as a way to go forward in their lives we need a cause also.

People unconsciously take up causes not understanding their motivations. A boy may see the primary male figure in his life and spend all kinds of energy seeking to become that man or excel that man in the areas that were lacking.

Christ had a cause. The cross was His method of achieving it. He truly did succeed in 'filling up what was lacking' where every other man had failed.

His cause has become the cause of the Church.

"But if I, brothers, still preach circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been removed... For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another." - Galatians 5:11 & 13 ESV

The cross is offensive not only because it demands a loss of life but because it is done on someone else's terms.

If we do not lose our lives our freedom will become an 'occasion to the flesh' because the waves will just keep on coming and we will begin to seek refuge from them somewhere else. Somewhere comfortable and familiar.

"The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe. A rich man's wealth is his strong city, and like a high wall in his imagination." Proverbs 18:10-11 ESV

"From the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy. Let me dwell in your tent forever! Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings!
-
Selah
-
For you, O God, have heard my vows; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name. Prolong the life of the king; may his years endure to all generations! May he be enthroned forever before God; appoint steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over him! So will I ever sing praises to your name, as I perform my vows day after day." - Psalms 61:2-8 ESV

The cause we take up will preserve us through the storm. It is the eternal cause of a laid down life. It is not political or social though it will have expressions in those realms. We serve the King of Kings and loss our lives for the sake of those He loves.


No comments:

Post a Comment