Saturday, February 16, 2013

Weeding the Garden

In Spurgeon's 'Morning and Evening' Devotional he speaks about the cultivation of contentment versus man's natural propensity towards despair and complaint. Thorns and thistles that just spring up on their own blown in from somewhere or waiting in the soil to show themselves. Precious things take diligence and directed energies.

I find this to be true. Some seasons I find that the seeds of discouragement have sprouted and grown up seemly overnight and if given any time at all to mature they become well rooted in my emotional landscape.

I don't think contentment is Heavenly in origin. There are plenty of people that have seasons of contentment after working hard to accomplish something and enjoying the fruit of their labor.

The fruits of the Spirit are Heavenly in origin.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." Gal 5:22

These are cultivated in us but not by us. They are the Spirit's fruits. The hard work we rest in was not done by us... it was done by Christ. The rest that is real and lasting rest is the Shalom that is seated at the right hand of God. The prince of peace is my peace. God waters my garden.

Do I weed my garden. Yes. Even this morning I will pluck some nasties out and chuck them into the fire of my faith as I am stirred up once again in love, what Jesus has done and what He is like. I am still not ready to face the day. That's alright... I will be.

I won't pretend that only Christians have houses. Lots of folk have houses. Their houses look much nicer than mine in fact. My house however is built on the Rock and when the storm comes I will still have a house and not a spiritual insurance claim.

It's not because I am some great guy. I am not. It's all about location... Location, Location, Location...

Contentment is cultivated and it takes time. What feeds and builds the lasting kind is the evidence of God's faithfulness. In the end if we have rest it will be because of His hard work not ours.

Watch out giants a worship team leads this army! I have a sling in my hand and a promise in my pocket with your name on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment