Monday, February 18, 2013

Brought into a Large Place

The Sunday morning message at our church here in Baltimore was so good. I was so affected by it. It was so fresh to me. The primary texts were these:

"He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me." Ps 18:19

"After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter. And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne." Rev 4:1-2

Others were used also but the concept presented that people have a life anchored to a relatively small geographical area in a town somewhere that is in a city. That city is in a country on a planet. But, as we travel upward and upward in scope all of it is contained in God Himself.

The Apostle John was taken out of his little prison into the big room of Heaven and shown the big picture of space but also of time and history. That picture is so vivid in my mind this morning.

An addiction is a prison that just seems to make my life a cell and that cell gets smaller and smaller. Jealous, envy, pride... small minded thoughts with very limiting scope.

People are looking for something that will enlarge them. To be empowered is in a way to be enlarged. Grace and truth do not enlarge us just in that way. The Father because of Christ brings us as little people into the large room of His thinking. In fact each member of the Trinity has a part in our tiny little lives to bring us out of bondage and into this expansive realm of thinking.

"For Israel slideth back as a backsliding heifer: now the LORD will feed them as a lamb in a large place." Hos 4:16

Royal thinking is large room thinking. A king must see the large picture.

Grace thinking spans the scope of space and time. It traverses the landscape of the human experience like an eagle soaring above buoyed by the breeze of the Holy Spirit. It does not look down with disdain at what is below. Wisdom just sees it all in correct perspective.

It is great to know that God is here with me now sitting at my little desk. At the same time I am there with Him sitting in His Son at the right hand of the Father. I need both vantage points to properly interpret my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment