Monday, February 25, 2013

Pointing to Christ

"And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul. And when she was baptized, and her household, she besought us, saying, If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us. And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying: The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation. And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour." Acts 16:14-18

Lydia's heart was opened by God because what Paul preached was Christ's finished work and the great free provision available to all that believe.

Pointing to men only detracts from the message.

When Christ was lifted up on a cross it was an act that would draw all men to Himself. When we lift up Christ that is when people will be drawn to God.

I want the words I speak to point to Christ. If the message on my lips is His love then I will be a true minister of reconciliation.

"And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power" 1 Cor 2:1-4

The focus can't be natural horizontal focus. It must be one that points to the invisible to make it visible. It must be an unveiling of the character and nature of God and what He has done.

People will choose once they have heard it but...

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?" Rom 10:14

No comments:

Post a Comment