Wednesday, December 15, 2021

The Good News Is Just Good News

Attacking someone's identity, or core beliefs connected to their identity, is a terrible tactic to try and get someone to change their mind. All it does is trigger a fight or flight mechanism.

The word 'gospel' means 'good news' and the New Testament Gospel is just that.

This is the Apostle Paul speaking...

"And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there: Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me. But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God." - Acts 20:22-24 KJV

I've heard many people add things to the Gospel of grace but in truth it is 'news' that God sent His Son to Earth to die on a cross in our place as individuals so that we could be reconciled to God if we believe. The fact that Jesus rose from the grave is proof that He accomplished His mission and that His sacrifice was accepted. Our sins are paid for whether we believe it or not but when we believe we are made alive and a large list of things happen (adoption, rebirth, justification, sanctification, open access, etc...).

This message does not attack anyone or demean anyone. A person might say, 'I don't need that.' and they might get offended but it is not at it's heart an offensive message. On the contrary. It is very good news for the lost, broken and needy. It is great news.

It is very natural to 'mud sling'. People don't just want to be right they want to show how wrong the people on the 'other side' are and grind the opposition into powder. Not God. He isn't insecure. All injustice is going to be dealt with in the end. He Just wants people to come to Him.

"At that time Jesus declared, "I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."" - Matthew 11:25-30 ESV

Yes!

"The Spirit and the Bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price." - Revelation 22:17 ESV

So please... don't add anything to the Gospel. People don't have to 'change' to be accepted. Change will happen later... it will be organic.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment