Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Prepared To Give A Gift

"Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need. Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." - Ephesians 4:28-29 ESV

The two ideas are linked, aren't they? Theft and speech. We can take through what we say or we can give but it takes a kind of labor to give. A person can steal in a moment but bringing a gift takes preparation and thought.

If people have ears then they have a need. They are 'in need' of grace. They may not even know it but they are.

My work is the same work Israel had in the wilderness. I gather manna for today. I get some for myself and my household but I also get some for whoever else I might come in contact with. I used to be a thief. I took what I wanted with my words. If I come unprepared I might just live that way again today.

I don't have every word planned out. I've just received a gift from Heaven and I'll put it out there like people would put a bowl of candy on their desk. Then, in the future, if people need a mint or want something sweet and nourishing they will know where they can come to get something.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment