Wednesday, October 18, 2017

How Does Godliness Happen?

How?

How do we have clarity?

How do the obstacles in our thinking get removed?

How is the mental clutter washed away?

The Bible has a 'how' paragraph in the Psalms.

"Beth
How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Blessed are you, O LORD; teach me your statutes! With my lips I declare all the rules of your mouth. In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches. I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways. I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word." - Psalm 119:9-16 ESV

In Psalm 119 each section has a theme. It is an alphabetical song. 'Beth' or 'Bet' is the second letter of the alphabet and the first letter used in the Hebrew word translated here as 'How'. The Hebrew word mah (Strong's H4100) is a question word that is really more than just 'how.' It has 'what' and 'why' mixed in also.

It questions the first portion of the Psalm. Beth asks about Aleph. B asks about A.

"Aleph
Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD! Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart, who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways!" - Psalm 119:1-3 ESV

How?

How can 'a young man' be this person?

The Psalm gives us answers, doesn't it? Words. Focus. Jesus is the blessed One. We look at Him and not ourselves. We hang on His words and follow His steps.

We wake up to find dust, dirt and leaves have cluttered up our path. Problems seem to make devotion more difficult. Our thinking needs cleansing. How does it get swept away? How does our cluttered desk return to order so we can think orderly thoughts?

Jesus. Look at Jesus. What did He say? How did He live, die and rise again? Where is He now? He Is sitting at the right hand of the Father. His salvation work is finished and now He Is ever living to make intercession for us. That meditation sweeps away the dust and rinses out the glass so it is clear again. That is the 'How' of being blessed. That is the 'B' that follows our 'A' and makes it practical and possible.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment