Friday, October 21, 2016

Continue Steadfastly - Colossians - Part 26

"Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison - that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak." - Colossians 4:2-4 ESV

This is such a great passage.

What do we want out of life? What do we want for other people?

I think if we can learn to 'stick to it' in prayer we can also have a capacity to persevere in other things.

An 'open door for the word' is also an interesting thing to want. The writer isn't asking for money or for team members or health. He wants an 'anointed window' of space and time to express objective eternal viewpoint.

Paul's open door to declare the mystery of Christ landed him in prison... still... he wants another one and another one. As a matter of fact, he is asking to be better at making the Gospel clear to people.

The 'us' he is referring to includes the reader... 'Pray for us.'

Clarity. Simplicity. Simpatico. No one is reading in motives or undertones that are not there. Don't we want that?

As I sit here this morning I can't help but to review my own wants and notice that some line up with this model and others don't. I acknowledge before God where I stand.

"Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving." - Colossians 4:2 ESV

Yes. As we focus on Him and listen (with ears tuned to Biblical truth) and talk it out our motives are exposed and so are His. He wants to bless us. He wants the word to flow so we will be free. He is not the author of confusion. He desires intimacy and clarity.

The writer could be saying, 'God get me out of the prison. I just want to live a quiet life making tents and a place to sleep that is safe and warm.' but he isn't because he has God's mind.

Thank You for showing us a model of Your mind through this book. Transform us. Guide us. Today we purpose to keep the lines of communication open. Sharpen our communication skills. May our vertical affect our horizontal in profound ways.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment