Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Ontological Perfections - Part 1

I was up at 3am with one word on my mind. 'Ontological'

As you can imagine It's not a word I often think of. I might not have enough time to go into the whole concept. It is a 'God Proof' word. The 'Ontological Argument' is a proof of God's existence that uses man's ability to think as a proof instead empirical evidence. I am no philosopher but here is the basic idea.

A am a little Greek boy who believes in Zeus. I believe he has all power over my life. He can have children just by thinking about it. He can change himself into an old man and fool me. He can change me into an animal or throw me into eternal torment at his whim.

All power is a 'perfection'. As a little Greek boy I can hold this perfection in my mind. A perfection is an ultimate idea. It is a great-making property. As a little boy I can only jump from here to there but I can conceive of someone who is not limited as I am. I think Zeus can jump where ever he wants to jump. There is nothing higher or greater possible than that.

Zeus is imperfect in other ways though. He gets angry. He doesn't know everything. He does love even half as well as some of the mothers in my village. He is impatient with mortals.

Then there is another child in the village who talks to me about his idea of perfect knowledge. His God knows everything. My little world suddenly gets larger and smaller at the same time.

The 'Ontological Argument' states that if we as limited human being can conceive of beings that have perfections then there must be a being that exists who is an embodiment of these perfections.

We aren't priests living in monasteries. We live in a world full of fictions. Science fiction. Horror. Fantasy. Worlds have been created by us that only existed in the mind and have been given a platform in the movie theater but they are not perfect worlds. Our characters are not perfect characters.

The Christian God is a God of all perfections. He is holy, eternal and can do everything that can be done. He loves and knows all that can be known.

If broken limited beings can conceive of such things imperfectly then He must exist and be better than we think.

Knowing He exists is a first step. Logic can't connect us to Him. Jesus is the one who connects us to Him.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.' " - John 14:6 ESV

Father we ponder Your perfections today. You are the ultimate of everything. Thank you for noticing us. Thank You for loving us perfectly. Illuminate our minds today. Your word is a lamp for our feet and a light to our path. Guide us we ask. Thank You God.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment