Thursday, June 16, 2016

Distractions

Distractions. I suppose in every season of life we have them and some things change categories over time.

"Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come." - 1 Timothy 4:7-8 ESV

"Shall we provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than he? 'All things are lawful,' but not all things are helpful. 'All things are lawful,' but not all things build up." - 1 Corinthians 10:22-23 ESV

A distraction is something that we 'can' do but does not build anything or perhaps it builds something but does not contribute to the present project or cause.

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart," - Ephesians 5:15-19 ESV

Wow. Isn't this a good passage. People take the middle part of this passage and use it as an anti-drinking passage but really it is an anti-distraction passage.

I don't drink. It is my choice. I have people in my life that have problems with addiction and I would never want to be a stumbling block to them. I don't need it or want it. I don't spend my pleasure that way. I invest my joy in other things. Wine is mocker. It isn't getting my time. It adds nothing to me and only detracts.

But distraction is my subject today. I want to identify what is and isn't a distraction so that I can focus and make a choice. Responding to distractions are choice driven actions. We either don't realize we have a choice, make a compromise or stay focused. Our choices train us and strengthen our future focus or lack of focus.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted." - Hebrews 12:1-3 ESV

Ah Ha!

The Finished Work of The Cross is never a distraction. It is a profitable focus that fine tunes and rearranges our priorities to align with God's mind. He has a redemptive goal. Perhaps we are so project oriented at times that we miss what He has in mind.

Focus us God. We look unto Your Son this morning and we desire to have a distraction free day. Of course there will be potential detours that appear in our view but we desire to have a single eye today. Thank you God. Worship is not a distraction for us. Grace is not. The cross is not. Thank You God.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment