Friday, June 10, 2016

A Stack Of Clean Towels

Praying and repenting this morning. I sit here again... chagrined and uncomfortable as Jesus washes my feet. He isn't making me feel this way. He is taking the feeling away moment by moment. But, How wrong it is that The King of kings would wash this dusty little man's feet. I want to put on my best face for Him but here He is seeing the worst of me... again.

"Jesus answered him, 'What I am doing you do not understand now, but afterward you will understand.' Peter said to him, 'You shall never wash my feet.' Jesus answered him, 'If I do not wash you, you have no share with me.' " - John 13:7-8 ESV

How much like Peter we all are.

The great thing is that when it is done we stand up clean again and our best face is just revealed... It isn't put on.

"But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me." - 1 Corinthians 15:10 ESV

So here I sit. I come to God based on His work on the cross. My King still easily finds His towel and gently kneels before me. Tears fill my eyes now thinking about it. I should be bowing before Him but here He Is serving me and cleaning up my mess once again.

When He is done He looks me in the eyes and says...

"You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in you." - Song of Songs 4:7 ESV

He is not counting the times I have needed this cleansing. He is busy numbering the hairs on my head. He is just loving me and looking forward to what He has planned for the day. That is over and done but a stack of clean towels are waiting on the shelf nearby.

Jesus did a work 2,000 years ago. That work is finished. Grace does a work once again today. By grace I can arise and go into a very productive day. By grace I can have joy unspeakable and full of glory because my feet have been gently handled by the Savior of the world.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment