Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Beggars

This quote touched me this week. It made me think...

'We are never more than poor beggars telling other beggars where there is bread.' - Don Carson

One one level I relate to that idea so keenly. My meditation on it brought me here.

"But when he came to himself, he said, 'How many of my father's hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants.' ' And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. And the son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.' But the father said to his servants, 'Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate. For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.' And they began to celebrate." - Luke 15:17-24 ESV

The Father wasn't going to respond verbally to his Son's confession of poverty. His father's response was the robe, the ring and the calf.

So yes we say to each other, 'I have found the best place to get bread. I care for you my fellow traveler with a hungry soul. Jesus has the best bread I have ever tasted. He is just around the corner and He gives it away for free.'

At the same time the Father makes us rich with His love. He doesn't ses a dirty beggar... He sees a son or a daughter.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment