Saturday, January 9, 2016

Wise Leisure Time

It is Saturday. Like many it is my first day off. I don't go to work and earn. Instead I can do what I choose to do.

"Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered. The people curse him who holds back grain, but a blessing is on the head of him who sells it. Whoever diligently seeks good seeks favor, but evil comes to him who searches for it. Whoever trusts in his riches will fall, but the righteous will flourish like a green leaf. Whoever troubles his own household will inherit the wind, and the fool will be servant to the wise of heart. The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and whoever captures souls is wise." - Proverbs 11:25-30 ESV

This is a great 'day off' passage because Today is a day when I can trust in riches for myself. Leisure is a rich mans pleasure after all.

There is nothing wrong with relaxing. We all need it.

I see people who live their lives giving back and they are blessed people. They find joy in 'watering'. Souls are what is important to them.

I am going to go on evangelism today. I'm not going to make God happy or as a duty of some kind. Jesus has already done that on my behalf. I just see it as a wise way to spend my time.

"And he said to them, 'Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' Immediately they left their nets and followed him." - Matthew 4:19-20 ESV

These men became 'waterers' they were no long seeking to gather only for themselves. Instead they found joy in laboring so that other could have and be blessed.

Don't get me wrong. It is going to be a fun day. I am going to eat nice food and laugh a lot in the midst of these activities. Just as I want to be wise in my work I also want to be wise in my play. I don't want to use this day off as an escape. What are we running from anyway? I want to use it to enter in to things. I want to use it to enter into people's lives near and far and give them what has been given to me.

I think the baseball coach who works a job and coaches kids doesn't regret living that way. He invests in a dozen young lives a season involved in a game he loves and it is a good way to live... the doctor who volunteers at a clinic... the family that visits a nursing home long after the grandmother who was staying there has passed on.

It is never to late to make a shift to a different lifestyle.

Investment is wise. Loving is good for our souls. It a a good fun way to spend our time.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment