Monday, August 11, 2014

Humility

Humility is so needed. I need it. I want it. I'm not talking about confidence versus insecurity. I know plenty of humble people who are insecure and confident people who are very humble.

"A rich man's wealth is his strong city, and like a high wall in his imagination. Before destruction a man's heart is haughty, but humility comes before honor. If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame." - Proverbs 18:11-13 ESV

We have all seen and known people who are not humble. They are the final authority on everything. Advice is not taken or taken only in part if it seems to benefit them. Ego. Arrogance.

I have been that person. Today I could act like that person. What will keep it from happening?

"But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain." - 1 Corinthians 15:10a ESV

Humility is the knowledge that something or someone made you what you are now and that outside powers will form you into what you will be later. Meekness is submission to those powers.

Patriotism is a form of humility. Honor for the previous generation is also but humility towards God is humility returning to it's source. He is force under-girding every good thing in any culture and family.

"I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul makes its boast in the LORD; let the humble hear and be glad. Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together! I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears." - Psalms 34:1b-4 ESV

"And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying: 'Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied...' " - Matthew 5:2-6 ESV

Knowledge of the finished work of grace that was done in the past... knowledge of God's present work of grace in our lives moment by moment... hope of a future work of grace that will take us to a destination by God's power. This awareness creates an atmosphere of humility and thankfulness.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment