Saturday, August 9, 2014

Costly Love Casts Out Fear

I was thinking this morning that redemption is a 'value for value' transaction.

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it." - Matthew 13:45-46 ESV

A merchant would know the value of the pearl He saw. Seeing the value he sells off what he has to amass funds to get the thing that is precious.

"Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows." - Luke 12:6-7 ESV

Fear here is linked to a low value estimation. We think in our isolation that perhaps we don't matter to God and we sink into fear.

"Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you." - Matthew 7:6 ESV

God doesn't want us to be cheated. People give what should be given to only to God to people, concepts and things and in the end those things 'turn on them' causing disappointment and heart break.

A women gives her body to men but it really should be saved for one special man. A man gives his loyalty to a cause only to be disappointed when it falls short.

We give our precious moments to things but are we casting what is holy before dogs?

"Knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot." - 1 Peter 1:18-19 ESV

Fear is cast out by this perfect costly love. God paid the highest price for us. Love pays a high price and perfect love pays the highest price.

What is of the most value to God? Our heart... Our time. Our works are cheap compared to these things. Our vegetables are a secondhand offering (see Genesis 4 with Cain and Abel)

Grace is free because someone bought us an endless lifetime supply of favor. It was so costly that it leaves no room for me to be afraid.

When I see the value of one soul I begin to 'amass my funds' because I realize the stakes involved.

When I see the value of my marriage...

When I see the value of freedom...

When I see the value of my children...

Time and heart are my currency. I don't give them to those things... I give them to God and choose to lose my old life that was of little value to anyone and invest in a new life that was given as a free gift.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment