Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Grace in Psalm Sixty Two: A Safe Shelter

Reading Psalm 62 this morning. It is so good.

"To the choirmaster: according to Jeduthun. A Psalm of David. For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken." - Psalms 62:1-2 ESV

David speaks to the choirmaster about quiet. That alone has a richness to it. It can be 'music, music,and more music' on the outside but what about quiet. God counsels the musician about silence and waiting. There is time for both things.

"How long will all of you attack a man to batter him, like a leaning wall, a tottering fence? They only plan to thrust him down from his high position. They take pleasure in falsehood. They bless with their mouths, but inwardly they curse.

Selah

For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken." - Psalms 62:3-6 ESV

I used to be a bit dismayed by the seeming paranoia of the Psalmists, 'Is everyone out to get you?.. Really?' But I see it differently now.. today.. human perspective is always seeking to 'topple the leaning wall'. The goodness of a good man still finds fault.. is critical.. disdains success that seems to exceed his own if the successful person is flawed in some way... and they always are.

But God is a fortress. He does not shake the thing that is leaning to watch it fall.. He provides shelter.

"On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us.

Selah

Those of low estate are but a breath; those of high estate are a delusion; in the balances they go up; they are together lighter than a breath." - Psalms 62:7-9 ESV

Yes. Trust in the God of all grace not the illusion of success. Be transparent with the God who is a fortress. There is no refuge with the 'shake the tottering fence' crowd. Human opinion is weightless anyway.

"Put no trust in extortion; set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, set not your heart on them. Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God, and that to you, O Lord, belongs steadfast love. For you will render to a man according to his work." - Psalms 62:10-12 ESV

What God renders He renders based on love. We must see the last line in context with the rest. Grace is a refuge. The 'works' spoken of here is the contrast between those who point to the fortress versus those who push on the leaning wall and rock it back and forth until it falls.

Grace provides refuge. It is not interested in noise to drown out discouragement, success that throws money at the problem or extortion to leverage an outcome. Grace wants to give and give and give out of an endless supply of love. Grace wants to cover and teach people so they know where to go... not to human perspective... grace teaches us to seek divine perspective.

--

1 comment:

  1. Excellent is an understatement for this Gleaning! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete