Sunday, August 28, 2022

The Prayer Assignment

In Bible school one of my classes gave 'prayer assignments'. We were supposed to pray for a list of people, countries and churches. Then at the next class we had to check a box saying we did the assignment.

This challenged me greatly because I thought things like, 'Is God going to answer these prayers if we just did them to get a good grade?'... is that really how things work?

The big test came when I didn't do the assignment but there I was with my pen hovering over the check mark. I wanted to get a good grade. Was i willing to lie to do that? Was I willing to lie about PRAYING to do that?

I remember being tempted to check the box anyway. I don't remember if i ever did. I might have. I'm kind of a rascal... but aren't we all.

I'm praying right now for a few things and people. Am I doing it to check a box? I don't really know but I'm doing it by faith.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it." - John 14:12-14 ESV

Jesus' name is big and unique to me. He Is God Himself who came to be a man. He is my Savior. He came to Earth because of love and healed everyone who came to Him for healing. He Is the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. He Is sitting at the right hand of the Father. He knows me so much better than I know Him. God sees me and all that I do and don't do.

I'm a little nobody but I can name drop as well as anyone else and I plan to drop His name all over the place. I plan to pepper my prayers with His name. His name isn't a curse word to me. His name Is like an iceberg of divinity. His name Is weighty and wonderful. I'm going to use it and God help me if I misuse it because it is important and powerful.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment