Friday, April 6, 2018

People To Identify With

I was thinking the other day about how gracious God Is to provide us with a book full of people we can identify with. I am like Abraham and Abraham is like me. I am like Noah. I am like Joseph. I am like 'doubting' Thomas (a nickname I imagine he is not fond of). They are like me.

Perhaps we have all heard a person who was a pioneer in something say, 'Growing up I never saw someone of my race or gender doing this but I had a desire and so I pushed through'. God has given us a book filled with spiritual pioneers. We may not have all the qualities of these people but there is overlap and because of that there is a identification and that identification can bring out qualities that are embedded in our physical and spiritual DNA.

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith--more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire--may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ." - 1 Peter 1:3-7 ESV

These people in the scriptures had encounters with God and went through things. That can and will happen to us also.

God had Joshua say this to a group many years ago and it resonates with me today.

"At the end of three days the officers went through the camp and commanded the people, 'As soon as you see the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God being carried by the Levitical priests, then you shall set out from your place and follow it. Yet there shall be a distance between you and it, about 2,000 cubits in length. Do not come near it, in order that you may know the way you shall go, for you have not passed this way before.' " - Joshua 3:2-4 ESV

Let's keep close but also at a healthy distance so we have perspective. Let's look at those who have gone before us and live in identification.

God has been very gracious to many people throughout history. That same grace is available to us also.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment