Thursday, April 19, 2018

Fernweh

I love reading the Gospels but I must say they give me a great sense of 'fernweh' (a sense of longing to be in a far away exotic place). You read and Jesus is speaking right there around the corner. People go to Him and ask for a healing for themselves or someone else and in a sentence or two, that person has their healing. I can see why some think of the Bible as a kind of fairytale because needs seem to be met so quickly and completely.

"By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God." - Hebrews 11:8-10 ESV

I'm thinking this morning of all the people I know who are waiting for doctors appointments and need wisdom. It hasn't been an instant healing. They are on a journey like Abraham was on a journey.

Humanity had Him and His ministry for the space of three years. That time is recorded and it isn't fiction. Still, during those days when He was here Heaven's doors were shut to mankind. God was answering His prayers but no one else had that access.

"Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." - Hebrews 4:14-16 KJV

Yes. I see this happening now. Jesus won us this access and God is working every hour and moment in more subtle ways in life after life.

I long for face to face time with Christ. I would love to know I could hear His voice if I walked around a corner and the words He would speak would shock, challenge and comfort me.

Wait a minute... I do have that now. I have the closest thing I could have with Him being there in Heaven and me being here on Earth. I have the Bible and the Holy Spirit making the Bible alive in my mind and Spirit.

Yes. I long for that eternal city that has not made by human hands but I also am alive right now in the moment and in the provision of the moment. God is here. His words are alive. There is healing in His wings. There is wisdom in the book.

Thank You God. Open the eyes of the blind. Please quicken the lonely heart waiting from day to day. Visit us in this moment. Thank You. Praise You. We want You to be close not far and the blood of Christ has brought us close. Thank You.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment