Friday, March 2, 2018

The Sluggard

Normally I shun 'label' words for people. These label words are often used as a hammer or as justifications for unflattering generalizations. A person (or people group) can't be defined by a word but yesterday the word 'sluggard' came up at the lunch rap and it got me thinking about identities.

"Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise... How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep?" - Proverbs 6:6, 9 KJV

"As vinegar to the teeth, and as smoke to the eyes, so is the sluggard to them that send him." - Proverbs 10:26 KJV

"The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat." - Proverbs 13:4 KJV

"The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing." - Proverbs 20:4 KJV

"The sluggard is wiser in his own conceit than seven men that can render a reason." - Proverbs 26:16 KJV

I had always thought of a sluggard as a lazy person but yesterday it was defined as an 'unmotivated person' and that triggered many thoughts.

Christian spiritual warfare defines two invisible forces, God's kingdom and the power of darkness, they are at odds and human identities come from one of these two places. The dark force wants people to be trapped and never reach the light. God wants people to choose His Son and be free if they choose to take the gift given to them. That gift brings in a new identity with different characteristics.

In reality, we are not what we do or don't do. We are who God says we are. The sluggard finds no motivation. Circumstances don't seem to change their mindset. That is not who we are as children of God. That identity is a trap.

I have often wondered in my own life why some things come easily and why others are so hard. There are some things I can knock out in an hour and others I just want to put off almost indefinitely. There are many reasons involved and I'm not sure if comprehending all the 'why's is really necessary.

I do know that my identity is linked to my motivation and a healthy identity overflowing with motivation is possible if I am thinking with God.

"But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain..." - 1 Corinthians 15:10a KJV

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." - Galatians 2:20 KJV

The cross refocuses my life. I can do what I need to do. I can start and I can finish. I can abandon what is not needed and neatly tie up the loose ends honourably. I can endure. I can cast down negative Godless labels others put on me or I'm tempted to put on myself. I am free because love is flowing in me and constraining my movement. The weight is removed and the depression that has formed because of oppression will disappear in time as I continue to be transformed into the image of the One who has overcome the grave.

The great commision to seek and save that which is lost and the great commandment to love provide endless motivation.

"But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires." - Romans 13:14 ESV

Yes. Wake up you who are asleep and take on the identity that God has for you. That person shines brightly. They are sitting at God's right hand of approval in Jesus Christ.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment