Thursday, March 15, 2018

Finding Those Who Are Out Of Sight

"...for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light." - Luke 16:8b KJV

I sometimes ask God in my prayer time 'who have I not seen lately?' because I am aware of the fact that I might not be as good at communicating as other folks are with the people I care for.

"For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus. And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel," - Philippians 1:8-12 ESV

"...while they long for you and pray for you, because of the surpassing grace of God upon you." - 2 Corinthians 9:14 ESV

"For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you - that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine." - Romans 1:11-12 ESV

I have noticed that in some circles of Church culture mainstream methods of communication can be lacking because the local assembly becomes the hub of interaction so people just interact there assuming everyone in those circles will be seen and found in that place. Often people can fall out of communication just because they haven't been around.

Out of sight can mean out of mind very easily.

"... for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord." - Ephesians 5:8-10 ESV

"What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing." - Luke 15:4-5 ESV

This passage in Luke came up the other day and we focused on the fact that this shepherd was so aware that he knew that a sheep was missing and went after it. What good is the willingness to 'go after' people if you don't even know who is missing?

That is why I pray, 'Who is missing Lord?' because I know that is a prayer that is pleasing to God. He cares deeply for people. He isn't focused on our shortcomings or inabilities. He just wants our heart. He Is able.

Perhaps you feel like a disconnected person. Maybe you left and felt that no one missed you. I understand that feeling. I have had to give those emotions to God before and likely will again. I think it prepares us to be people who reach out if it gets processed through Christ's cross. We can either decide to blame places or people and perhaps end up with a root of bitterness or we can let God make us mindful of other people.


--

No comments:

Post a Comment