Monday, March 26, 2018

A Sanctified Memory

Perhaps we see forgetfulness as some kind of flaw in our ability to remember But I think it has it's uses and God built in this ability at creation. It has just gone a bit haywire because of the fall.

"The oracle of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi. 'I have loved you,' says the LORD. But you say, 'How have you loved us?' 'Is not Esau Jacob's brother?' declares the LORD. 'Yet I have loved Jacob but Esau I have hated. I have laid waste his hill country and left his heritage to jackals of the desert.' " - Malachi 1:1-3 ESV

"Do you work wonders for the dead? Do the departed rise up to praise you? Selah Is your steadfast love declared in the grave, or your faithfulness in Abaddon? Are your wonders known in the darkness, or your righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?" - Psalm 88:10-12 ESV

Esau dwells in the 'land of forgetfulness' but God thinks about Jacob all the time.

"You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." - Matthew 5:48 ESV

I often ask God to quicken and heal my memory. I want to love (remember) and hate (forget) perfectly.

We are limited beings and we aren't going to remember everyone. Forgetting can be a defense mechanism triggered as a reaction to pain. In a way forgetting is a form of 'hatred' but there is a perfect hatred... a perfect love and a perfect hatred.

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you." - John 14:26 ESV

There is no condemnation for our limitations. If we rely on God we will remember who and what we really need to remember.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment