Thursday, February 8, 2018

That Old Rascal

I'm reading Genesis chapter 32 and 33 this morning and I am amazed at how stubborn and deceptive Jacob is.

"Then Esau said, 'Let us be on our way; I'll accompany you.' But Jacob said to him, 'My lord knows that the children are tender and that I must care for the ewes and cows that are nursing their young. If they are driven hard just one day, all the animals will die. So let my lord go on ahead of his servant, while I move along slowly at the pace of the flocks and herds before me and the pace of the children, until I come to my lord in Seir.' Esau said, 'Then let me leave some of my men with you.' 'But why do that?' Jacob asked. 'Just let me find favor in the eyes of my lord.' So that day Esau started on his way back to Seir. Jacob, however, went to Sukkoth, where he built a place for himself and made shelters for his livestock. That is why the place is called Sukkoth." - Genesis 33:12-17 NIV

Did you catch the lie? I don't think I ever have before. Jacob told Esau he would meet him in Seir but he never goes there. He goes in a different direction to Sukkoth and stands up his brother.

This is right after Jacob wrestles with God in the chapter before.

"When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched his hip socket, and Jacob's hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. Then he said, 'Let me go, for the day has broken.' But Jacob said, 'I will not let you go unless you bless me.' And he said to him, 'What is your name?' And he said, 'Jacob.' Then he said, 'Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed.' Then Jacob asked him, 'Please tell me your name.' But he said, 'Why is it that you ask my name?' And there he blessed him. So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel, saying, 'For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life has been delivered.' " - Genesis 32:25-30 ESV

Jacob knew he was dealing with God because he couldn't manipulate this person. Very interesting how God blesses a person who is trying to con him.

Grace

It's all grace

God has to change Jacob's name because Jacob is a rascal and is going to be a rascal no matter what you do.

Jacob has a new perspective after chapter 32. He really has a peace he didn't have before. He could meet his brother and deal with the situation in a peaceful way after his encounter with God but it isn't because he is a changed man. It is because he has seen God and gotten the 'blessing'.

The identity shift would come much later.

I have known some Godly rascals in my time. I am one. My old man is slippery but I have a new identity in Christ and that guy isn't a rascal. He really Is all that God says he is.

God really blessed me the other day. No. Really He did. I was like Jacob dreading what might come next and now all that is gone. I spoke to Him and He moved in a mystical way I can't explain and lifted my burden. He didn't have to do it but He did.

Today I am very aware of my need to put on Jesus Christ.

"The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof." - Romans 13:12-14 KJV

Yes. Old Jacob gets another nail in his coffin.

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." - Galatians 2:20 KJV

As an old friend would say...

Ding. Dong.

Yes. That is my choice. I know who I am in Christ and I know what I can be if I don't put on this person and this truth. Today is a new day and a fresh chance to live in a new identity.


--

No comments:

Post a Comment