Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Dissipation

I was listening to a news report about the drought in Cape Town, South Africa and it brought me to this passage.

"And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit," - Ephesians 5:18 NKJV

The word translated 'dissipation' here is asōtia (Strong's G810) and it speaks of an erosion or evaporation of integrity or wholeness.

This city had water but then the drought started. Things got worse and worse. Now water is precious and everyone is looking for new and better ways to reuse their 'gray water'. Soon the city may run dry and according to that broadcast, they would be the first modern metropolis that large that has done so.

If you have an abundance dissipation seems like no big deal but when you have very little that little bit becomes precious.

I am rich in Christ but proximity to Him reveals my poverty. I can no longer separate myself from the terrible things people do. I am just like them. Jesus died on the cross as us in full identification with the sins of the whole world. Innocent but poor beyond understanding. Stripped of everything in our place. I have an inheritance in Him. Believers are hidden in the person of this Savior. I am rich but if I am honest I am also as poor as the poorest person in true identification.

" 'All things are lawful,' but not all things are helpful. 'All things are lawful,' but not all things build up." - 1 Corinthians 10:23 ESV

Many things are pleasurable but they dissipate and I just can't afford that. I feel like I imagine Cape Town must feel (if a city feels anything). Every drop of water has become important to the inhabitants of that city. It wasn't before but it is now.

"And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom." - Matthew 26:27-29 KJV

One day we will raise a glass with Christ and it will be in true celebration. There will be no dissipation because that will be a thing of the past. I look forward to that day. Jesus is abstaining so I abstain with Him. Jesus identifies so I identify. Jesus is holy and I sit with Him in His holiness. That holiness is precious and important.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment