Monday, April 17, 2017

Private Times With Family

One of the thoughts that dominated my meditation yesterday was of 'secret family moments'. Perhaps because Easter is a holiday where families get together and often wear the best clothing they have and sit in a relatives house on a couch they rarely sit on. Perhaps pictures are taken or even videos and people get glimpses into those times but still, they are unique to that group. Other gatherings may be similar and likely are in some ways but only those people get to share that time.

That sounds rosy and wonderful but it isn't that way for everyone. I see some of the craziest driving on family holidays. Stress. Self-medication. These things are common on these days but time with family is very very hard for many folks. I remember what that is like. As a teenager, or younger, (as much as I loved my family) trips to visit were hard for one reason or another. I was itching to do something else or be somewhere else.

"When the hour had come, He sat down, and the twelve apostles with Him. Then He said to them, 'With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; 'for I say to you, I will no longer eat of it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.' Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, 'Take this and divide it among yourselves; 'for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.' And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, 'This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.' " - Luke 22:14-19 NKJV

Jesus wanted to eat with them and yet it strikes me this morning that it wasn't an easy meal for most of the people there. Judas was also at the table.

It was almost like Jesus was saying, 'I look forward to this night because it will become the night of ultimate strife but it will be the last night of strife. The next meal we have together will be strife free.'

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter filled with joy and laughter and precious memories made but I also know that some of you had a hard holiday. It won't always be that way. He is Risen. Jesus suffered his last hard holiday and you will also.

Belief in Christ has improved the quality of my afterlife but it has also improved the quality of my present life immeasurably. I can 'be abased and abound' now in different ways. Hard days are not as hard. In uncomfortable situations, I still have a supply of comfort. Time is seen in the light of the eternal.

I could say, 'Get to know Jesus and your family get togethers will be more bearable.' but it sounds like a cheap shot to bring a person to faith... even though it is a true statement. {smile}

--

No comments:

Post a Comment