Monday, April 24, 2017

Another Scoop

There is a market near where I work and a place in that market makes some wonderful rotisserie chicken wings. I went there last week and ordered six wings. The kind woman behind the counter smiled as she handed me the bag and said, 'I put in a few extra.'

It blessed me. The wings were delicious... especially the free ones.

As I read my booklet this morning this passage was quoted.

"Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching." - 1 Timothy 5:17 ESV

I decided to look into the Greek of the passage and see what 'double honor' meant and it basically translated into 'extra chicken wings with a smile'. The concept did at least. The Greek words would really actually be more like 'an extra scoop of value'. Wow.

I hesitate to speak of this passage because in a way a leader speaking about double honor is like a husband talking about how 'wives should honor their husband.' The motives can seem suspect. 'Why is this person saying this?' and 'What do they expect?' come to mind.

I love the concept of honor. It is a noble idea to place a high value on people. I have seen this applied in strange idolatrous ways and also in beautiful ones. Every human being is worthy of honor. To make a person know that their value is high is so vital and needed.

I like how the passage in 1 Timothy is worded. It doesn't say 'give double' it says, 'considered worthy of double' which is a mindset of adding value then adding more value.

Can we have honor between us? Can we say, 'You are valuable.' 'You are twice as valuable as you think you are.'?

If my honor is small then doubling it doesn't add very much. Zero multiplied by two is still zero. But, If our honor is great doubling it is a great blessing. Let's have great honor. If we see God as He Is will be in awe of His attributes. Then if we look at what He has done for people in Love our honor will be amplified again and again.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment