Thursday, March 30, 2017

Now Meets Later

"Surely there is a future, and your hope will not be cut off." - Proverbs 23:18 ESV

Sometimes 'now' is awesome. Sometimes it is lonely. Sometimes there is pain.

Later can be forgotten or focused on so intently that now is forgotten or minimized.

God links now and later. God lives in both places and we can have hope in both places at the same time and that is amazing.

"And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment." - Revelation 21:6 ESV

Eternal life isn't just 'not dying'. It is living now and later at the same time because of hope.

Now may not be much fun. It may make it seem like later won't be either but that is a self-perpetuating illusion. In time the two never really meet and mix.

In eternity they will mix and hope will not be needed. Hell's pain will be perpetual and Heaven's joy will be unending.

I look forward to meeting Jesus in my moments today. That may sound corny but it is true. It is like meeting my best friend who has come home from war. He brings my future joy into my present life and that means the day has a kind of bright unpredictability to it. Mine does at least.

I hope yours does also. He Is the same Jesus. If you know Him (or get to know Him) the same hope that enabled the martyrs to face death with expectation can be yours no matter what your 'now' looks like.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment