Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Always A Handful Of Something Good

In the 1930s people in Baltimore were going through hard times. After the stock market crash money and food was scarce but at Thomas and Thompson's drugstore there was always a bowl of Graham crackers that anyone could eat from by the soda fountain. It would be constantly refilled. The owners did it so that those who were buying drinks would be thirstier and spend more money and so that those who had nothing could always get a handful of something to eat in a dignified way. Many a person survived that dark time because of that bowl that was always restocked no matter how many hands took from it.

"Then I said, 'Behold, I have come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me: I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.' I have told the glad news of deliverance in the great congregation; behold, I have not restrained my lips, as you know, O LORD. I have not hidden your deliverance within my heart; I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation; I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness from the great congregation. As for you, O LORD, you will not restrain your mercy from me; your steadfast love and your faithfulness will ever preserve me!" - Psalm 40:7-11 ESV

Jesus comes to us in the Bible and we become a bowl that gets low at times but is then refilled. Jesus is the lamp that lights us for the dark times. Those who have get more and those with nothing get something.

It cost money to keep that bowl full. Jesus has paid the price to keep us full. Thank you God for your mercy and compassion.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment