Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Logical Fallacies - Part 4

"You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions." - James 4:3 ESV

While looking at my list of logical fallacies I'm scanning the questions it lists and marveling at how wrong we can be. We think our answers are the issue but it goes deeper. Our questions are often wrong and so there is no answer from God for what we are asking.

"Why will you still be struck down? Why will you continue to rebel? The whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint." - Isaiah 1:5 ESV

A LOADED QUESTION as something that has an assumption already built into it. When we are BEGGING THE QUESTION we have an answer already embedded in the request.

'Why don't you love me God?' or 'Why won't you help me God?' are just such questions. They are based on a wrong premise and God must work around us because He can't work with us until we are on the same page.

"Do two walk together, unless they have agreed to meet?" - Amos 3:3 ESV

or in the KJV

"Can two walk together, except they be agreed?" - Amos 3:3 KJV

No. They can't. If they do meet it will just be an encounter and there will be no lengthy discourse because those conversations take time.

"Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool." - Isaiah 1:18 ESV

What a great verse! Many times the red to white part is emphasized because it talks of cleansing but I also like the 'shall become like wool' part... the natural color and texture is restored.

Our questions can be caked and stained with condemnation and judgement but then we reason with God and the first thing He points us to is redemption. The cross kills my wrong questions and gives me new ones. God reveals the natural weave of our being and can impart something real to us because we walk with Him in agreement about that which is most fundamental.

Now we say things like, 'Since You love me so much will You guide me in this situation? I know You will. You didn't bring me this far to leave me now.'

"... for he has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' " - Hebrews 13:5b ESV

Scripture arms us with good facts to ask good questions and life is full of good questions to ask as we walk together with God.

--

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Pst. Allen, these thoughts are such an encouragement for us.

    ReplyDelete