Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Practice As It Rains

I had two clarinet practice sessions last night. I did a few basic songs then I went out and did a few chores and came back and played 'When the Saints Go Marching In' about a dozen times as it thundered and rained outside. It was very enjoyable to work on a piece of music again and again.

I am taking a break from my music lessons for now. I might start back up again in the fall but I want to practice for a longer period of time one night a week just to stay in the rhythm and not lose what I have learned.

A few passages come to mind...

"Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward. Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son." - 2 John 1:8-9 ESV

"Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple." - Luke 14:27 ESV

"Yet another said, 'I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.' Jesus said to him, 'No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.' " - Luke 9:61-62 ESV

Wow. Intense thoughts.

As I pick up my instrument and begin to play I am thankful that I have had a teacher. I need a teacher. What bad habits would I develop if I went it alone with no one to instruct me who had wisdom and experience?

What if I never practice? Where will the melody go? What will I have to relearn later?

The full reward is an interesting idea. When we abide in grace we have a full reward. Those moments are filled with full communion with both the Father and the Son.

I love when I stop thinking about what my fingers are doing and the song is just flowing with expression.

Today is a day to have my hands on the plow and not even glance back. The instrument and it's workings fade into the background. There is only God's music of grace.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment