Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Weakness Of Love

'Moreover, Ahithophel said to Absalom, 'Let me choose twelve thousand men, and I will arise and pursue David tonight. I will come upon him while he is weary and discouraged and throw him into a panic, and all the people who are with him will flee. I will strike down only the king, and I will bring all the people back to you as a bride comes home to her husband. You seek the life of only one man, and all the people will be at peace.'...

But my counsel is that all Israel be gathered to you, from Dan to Beersheba, as the sand by the sea for multitude, and that you go to battle in person. So we shall come upon him in some place where he is to be found, and we shall light upon him as the dew falls on the ground, and of him and all the men with him not one will be left. If he withdraws into a city, then all Israel will bring ropes to that city, and we shall drag it into the valley, until not even a pebble is to be found there.'

And Absalom and all the men of Israel said, 'The counsel of Hushai the Archite is better than the counsel of Ahithophel.' For the LORD had ordained to defeat the good counsel of Ahithophel, so that the LORD might bring harm upon Absalom.' - 2 Samuel 17:1-3, 11-14 ESV

Absalom had a weakness and David had a weakness.

"But if you will not do so, behold, you have sinned against the LORD, and be sure your sin will find you out." - Numbers 32:23 ESV

Absalom wanted an overwhelming logistical advantage, his weakness was his carnal thinking, but David's weakness was his love.

"And the king said, 'Is it well with the young man Absalom?'... " - 2 Samuel 18:29a ESV

"The king said to the Cushite, 'Is it well with the young man Absalom?'

And the Cushite answered, 'May the enemies of my lord the king and all who rise up against you for evil be like that young man.'

And the king was deeply moved and went up to the chamber over the gate and wept. And as he went, he said, 'O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! Would I had died instead of you, O Absalom, my son, my son!' " - 2 Samuel 18:32-33 ESV

David loved deeply. He was not naive. He loved and made provision of love for His people and people responded to that love and revolted against that love also. The love looked like weakness but it was really strength. A different kind of strength.

"For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, 'Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.' " - 1 Corinthians 1:25-31 ESV

Jesus revealed the love of God that would give His life and showed us the wisdom of God. Jesus is the wisdom of God personified. Jesus isn't naive. He is pure and loving.

If I told myself, 'Be like Jesus' it would be a foolish thing to say because I can't do it. I don't need to be like Jesus in my own strength. I can't be like Him that way.  My carnal nature has a weakness and looks for weakness in others to exploit. So does your carnal nature.

I can boast in the Lord and let the Love of God move me. David was not who He was by a self improvement program. He had an awe and adoration for God and God put His hand on David to preserve him in his weakness. God sent key people at key times to love David and his men and David found his way back to his throne.

When Jesus is revealed people find their way back to a throne. It isn't done by power and cunning. It is done by love. It is done by the cross of Christ.

Today I want that wisdom to wash over me and become my strength. Let it drain away all self occupation and make me more concerned for others than I am for my own victory.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment