Friday, March 21, 2014

Retroactive Faith

Thinking this morning about the word 'retroactive' and how much of my faith relies on this concept.

It is relatively new word. The Online Etymology Dictionary dates this word at around 1610 and cites a French origin 'rétroactif'. Even though the word is new the concept is old.

"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose." - Galatians 2:20-21 ESV

Retro-activity is a legal concept. Something that was previously unknown or unproven that happened in the past suddenly has great impact on present and future standing. The object remains unchanged but because of legal ramifications there is great fresh activity.

The law deals with now. Faith deals with something carried from the past into the present and future.

Guilt is when what we have done in the past follows us into the present. Forgiveness is when what Jesus did on the cross, planned before the foundation of the world, floods all of our being... past, present and future. Eternal things have retroactive status previous to time and space.

Chew on that for a while. {smile}

A retroactive faith will have a real present hope. When we enter into present faith based on what Christ has already done it is like a warm breeze coming from behind us and passing over us to refresh us. The things God has won for us materialize around us seemingly out of no where.

'Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall profess, within the vail,
A life of joy and peace.'

Amazing Grace by John Newton (1725-1807)

--

No comments:

Post a Comment