Monday, February 17, 2014

Midwinter Morning Thoughts

"A Song of Ascents. Of Solomon. Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain." - Psalms 127:1 ESV

"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account... Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." - Hebrews 4:12-13, 16 ESV

I am not building this house nor am I tearing it down. I leave that work to God.

On a cold mid-winter morning when things seem uncertain and my emotions are not high, warm, sunny and carrying me along this is a comforting thought. Things are frozen outside and have been for a while and not much construction work gets done in these seasons. It is a season. It will pass.

God is still doing what He does. I don't have to feel the progress in myself or in others. He is the master builder. I can rest. I can draw near to His heat. I can let His objectivity be my guide. I can read the words in His book in confidence that it surgery is needed the words will do what need to be done.

A new season is coming. Who knows what it will bring but it will be warmer soon enough and the construction done by God in the wintertime will be used when springtime comes.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment