Saturday, March 2, 2013

Translating the Language of the Church

"There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning, but if I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be a foreigner to the speaker and the speaker a foreigner to me. So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church." 1 Cor 14:10-12 ESV

Zeal to experience and zeal to build. A desire to understand and to be understood.

I was so built up by the translators in Montreal on our recent trip there. The whole Church up there truly is amazing but I was thinking this morning about those people who stood in the gap specifically for the purpose of translating French to English or vice versa.

Can I be a translator of the language of the Church? Will the words of Christ be heard. People who don't know Him may see Him as a foreigner. Don't get me wrong I know the Spirit of God must do this thing and yet I want to be available to say the words.

The translator stands next to the speaker ready for the person to speak. If there is a pause they pause... if a verse is quoted they quote it... if the speaker has a certain tone they match that tone. English must turn into French for the French hearer to be edified.

As I go on outreach today I want to speak the language of the person standing in front of me and yet I am listening for the words that come from Heaven so that what is said does not originate in me. I want to translate the line upon line mind of Christ.

Who is sufficient for these things? It must be God and yet I have eagerness and faith that when I go... we go... it will be God.




No comments:

Post a Comment