Wednesday, March 6, 2013

All Sufficient Grace

"For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:8-9a

Grace is sufficient when I don't, can't and won't and is just as strong then as when I do, can and will. All six of those statements can be very misleading and insufficient when the situations of our lives actually come into the light of reality.

Perhaps it is a poor or wrong self image that keeps us from attempting what seems out of reach or perhaps in arrogance we take credit for situations where our natural strength had little merit. In contrast God's grace will turn out to be enough to handle what needs handling. Our strength may overshadow it so that it remains hidden in the background. Our weakness showcases grace and reveals it's perfection.

Mercy can be expressed when I have a second coat and give it away. Grace is expressed when I have nothing to give and in my bankruptcy God shows Himself to be faithful.

Grace is absent of human merit and must be experienced over time in order to learn of it's real sufficiency.

It may not look like it will be enough... but it is.

Grace is based on Jesus and He did, could and will do all that is needed. That realm is beyond my power. I can be a participant and the receiver of it but no one but God can initiate it.

"And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins. Use hospitality one to another without grudging. As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4:8-11

If my inability can reveal God's grace today then I want it to. If my ability is submitted and reveals grace then I want that also.

What Jesus builds will last and be sufficient. Today I purpose to trust in that and nothing else.



No comments:

Post a Comment