Friday, January 4, 2019

The Long Vacant Job Posting

"And I sought for a man among them who should build up the wall and stand in the breach before me for the land, that I should not destroy it, but I found none." - Ezekiel 22:30 ESV

Yesterday I saw very clearly, in my mind's eye, the role of 'Savior of the World' as a job vacancy. Many times when a job is 'posted' there is already a candidate groomed in the wings to fill this position. Jesus was chosen before the foundation of the world but Adam could have filled the position. All he had to do was resist the temptation to eat the forbidden fruit offered by Eve. He could have waited until the next morning and spoken to God at the appointed time that they met every day. Conceivably, He could have died in her place. He didn't.

"And a ruler asked him, 'Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?' And Jesus said to him, 'Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone." - Luke 18:18-19 ESV

This wasn't just theoretical. History up until this moment had proven this to be true.

Jesus was challenging this person. Do you know me? I am manna from Heaven but do you see it?

" 'As for me, I have set my King on Zion, my holy hill.' I will tell of the decree: The LORD said to me, 'You are my Son; today I have begotten you. Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession. You shall break them with a rod of iron and dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.' Now therefore, O kings, be wise; be warned, O rulers of the earth. Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled. Blessed are all who take refuge in him." - Psalm 2:6-12 ESV

Scholars say this is the Psalmist peering into Heaven after Jesus rose from the grave and ascended to sit at God's right hand. The interviews were over. Jesus had passed the background checks. God was welcoming His Son back to Heaven to take His rightful position as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

"No one is good except God alone." - Luke 18:19b ESV

Why should we strive to be good? The position of the 'good One' has already been filled.

"Then they said to him, 'What must we do, to be doing the works of God?' Jesus answered them, 'This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.' " - John 6:28-29 ESV

Salvation is very simple really. We accept that a position needed to be filled to save our soul and instead of claiming to fill the position ourselves we agree that God chose Jesus for that role and that His work of the cross was enough to accomplish the task.

Simple but also impossible unless God speaks to our heart and brings us to a place of decision and we use our will to decide.

Finding a 'soul mate' isn't going to save us. Raising good children won't. A government can't. We can't. Our own transgressions disqualify us from saving ourselves or anyone else. That position has already been filled.

"In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)" - John 7:37-39 KJV

Yes. Believe in Jesus and receive the Spirit who will wash you. That is why Christ came. No man or woman met the qualifications of the job that needed to be done but then Jesus came to build a bridge back to the Father and send a cleansing rain to wash your soul and mine.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment