Monday, January 14, 2019

An Old Show That Made Me Laugh

I last week I was watching some older television shows while I recuperating from an illness and I caught an episode of Stargate SG-1 (a somewhat 'hard science fiction' show from the 90s). I like some 'hard science fiction'. It tries to stay true to what is known but adds some technology or ingredients to bring out human nature under those new or extraordinary circumstances.

This episode just happened to have Dom DeLuise (famous comedic actor from the 70s and 80s) on the show. It turns out his son Peter directed the episode and his two other sons also worked on the series.

I love Dom DeLuise. He has this disarming innocent stammering kind of humor. He passed years ago (IMDB says 2009) so I wasn't expecting to see him and I had no idea he ever appeared in the show. He played an innocence computer program embedded in minds of the SG-1 team who just wants them to have fun and eat food so it can record (and enjoy) those experiences and bring them back to the place they visited to get downloaded. They just want him out of their heads. A bit goofy and farfetched I know, but he owned the part and I smiled more than once.

The bottom line was that I was just glad to see him.

"So David slept with his fathers, and was buried in the city of David." - 1 Kings 2:10 KJV

"I tell you, many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven," - Matthew 8:11 ESV

I don't know if I will see Dom DeLuise in Heaven. I hope so. Contrary to popular belief the bible does not make the claim that everyone will be there. I'd like to think that someone who could make people laugh and could play an innocence so well was washed in the 'blood of Jesus' but I know it doesn't work that way. He would have needed to make a decision about Jesus as Messiah and believe that 'sin' and his personal sins were paid for and taken care of on the cross... a fact that most hard science fiction omits by the way.

What a funny man. It was good to see him.

One day people who we think of as 'sleeping' will be very much awake and revelling at tables celebrating God's accomplishments on the Earth. It is going to be a grand reunion. They seem 'gone' now but we will see them again and it will be fresh and surprising.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment