Monday, May 21, 2018

Reading To Remember The Details

"You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the LORD your God that I command you." - Deuteronomy 4:2 ESV

"The Spirit and the Bride say, 'Come.' And let the one who hears say, 'Come.' And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price. I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. He who testifies to these things says, 'Surely I am coming soon.' Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen." - Revelation 22:17-21 ESV

Don't add. Don't take away. Grace should be what is presented. Christ should be central and all in all.

I want to be careful to present Jesus as He Is and in order to do that I read His words often. I review His actions again and again. I read what the Apostles wrote in the books written after His ascension. I read the Hebrew scriptures that talk of God's dealings with Israel, mankind and creation. If I stopped being exposed to the truth it might be easy to start airbrushing the truth. It would be easy add subtle changes that my faulty memory adds to past events. Things might start getting omitted.

I don't want to leave out the need for salvation and the lostness of each individual. I don't want to start omitting Hell or the coming judgement of all thinking beings who die without receiving the free gift Christ has given of salvation.

I don't want to forget details of the Gospel. I don't want to add works or human effort into salvation or sanctification. Jesus did it all. We just see what He did and receive it. The first choice qualifies us for a guaranteed salvation. Then choice by choice brings a progressive sanctification.

I don't envy those publishers who have changed the Bible to make it 'more palatable'. No. I don't envy them one little bit.

Are you thirsty? Come and drink. Jesus has removed every barrier. He died before the 'foundation of the world' so that you and i could have free access to what we were once cut off from because of our own actions and the actions of our ancestors. God loves you. God wants you. Don't listen to any words that add to or take away from that. You are loved. Receive that love today and read, or listen to, the words of the scripture each day so that you can be refreshed in that truth and the details of it would remain in clear view.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment