Thursday, May 3, 2018

Communion Is Mystical

Meditating on this today...

"So Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you...' " - John 6:53 ESV

Jesus lost many people after saying this and it is understandable. Communion is mystical. It is so much more than bread and wine. That stuff goes into our body and becomes part of us and it represents a deeper truth.

"And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, 'This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.' And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, 'This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table.' " - Luke 22:19-21 ESV

In order to commune, we must hold the bread and wine in our hand and bring it to our mouth and eat. Judas just watched he didn't eat. His hand was on the table. That was the way he related to Christ from the beginning. Christ never became a part of his being.

"What shall I render to the LORD for all his benefits to me? I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD, I will pay my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people." - Psalm 116:12-14 ESV

God isn't asking for perfection. We lay hold of eternal life, take it in, make it ours and then talk about it.

If we live as spectators only we will never really live life and the isolation is a real isolation. We must possess the One who possesses us or existence will just be drudgery.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment