Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Don't Despise One Of These Little Ones

Notice the focus is on the children in this next passage...

" 'Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child - this one is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 'And whoever welcomes one child like this in my name welcomes me. 'But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to fall away - it would be better for him if a heavy millstone were hung around his neck and he were drowned in the depths of the sea. 'Woe to the world because of offenses. For offenses will inevitably come, but woe to that person by whom the offense comes. 'If your hand or your foot causes you to fall away, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or lame than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into the eternal fire. 'And if your eye causes you to fall away, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hellfire. 'See to it that you don't despise one of these little ones, because I tell you that in heaven their angels continually view the face of my Father in heaven." - Matthew 18:4-10 CSB

I rarely use this translation but it is the only one that came close to what I am seeing as the main point of the passage. Don't cause little ones to be 'scandalized' or 'stumble' (Strong's G4624 - skandalizo) over who Jesus Is and what He has done.

I wish every bitter 'ex-member' who just has to spew garbage everywhere about what they were once apart of would read this and it would sink in deep. Folks may have been wrong. Likely someone was somewhere. 'Offenses will inevitably come.'

I never want to be a person who adds to the offences of others by being offensive myself.

Wrongdoing is wrong. This passage isn't justifying abusers. I see incredible transparency here. God says He knows that this system He has set up for mankind to use free will to receive Him and walk by faith is going have some painful side effects. God's system leaves room for repentance but not everyone is going to use that room as it should be used.

I read this and think, 'It would be better for me to pluck out my 'eye' than to focus only on negatives and then voice my doubts and criticisms in a careless way so that people would get a slanted picture of who Christ Is.'

God will deal with those who use His system to hide. Men should deal with people who hurt and take advantage also. Our leaders are people who should be accountable for their actions and the actions of people they actively endorse. We do what is needed. We have that responsibility but it isn't our 'ministry'. We must focus on Christ. He Is pure. In Him we can worship and have peace and freedom that is found nowhere else.

We must use discretion and shelter the little ones. They are the focus. God's angels are watching over them. We should follow that example.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment