Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Stumbling Blocks

Offenses. Stumbling blocks. What happens when you or i are caught off balance? There is that momentary jolt isn't there? If we catch ourselves mid fall and recover it is one thing but if we fall hard there is often injury of some kind which takes time to heal.

A couple of passages I was looking at as I considered this subject.

"SHIN. Princes persecute me without a cause, But my heart stands in awe of Your word. I rejoice at Your word As one who finds great treasure. I hate and abhor lying, But I love Your law. Seven times a day I praise You, Because of Your righteous judgments. Great peace have those who love Your law, And nothing causes them to stumble. LORD, I hope for Your salvation, And I do Your commandments. My soul keeps Your testimonies, And I love them exceedingly. I keep Your precepts and Your testimonies, For all my ways are before You." - Psalm 119:161-168 NKJV

The KJV translates verse 165 this way...

"Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them." - Psalm 119:165 KJV

Each section of this Psalm is distinct. There is one for each letter in the Hebrew alphabet and has a theme. This one is 'SHIN' (the first letter in the Hebrew word for 'Princes' (Sar - Strong's H8269)

Jesus said this next passage to John's disciples. John's life was difficult. He was in jail and would later be executed for speaking truth to power.

"And he answered them, 'Go and tell John what you have seen and heard: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, the poor have good news preached to them. And blessed is the one who is not offended by me.' " - Luke 7:22-23 ESV

Has a 'prince', a person with power or influence, offended you? Has God's plan offended you?

You or i can only be offended if we stumble.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." - Psalm 119:105 ESV

The lamp shows us our next steps. The light shows us a strategy for the journey.

We may have already stumbled. Maybe it is a loved one that has fallen. The pain of wound recovery is real. Instead of being bitter we can keep God's precepts (spiritual principles and dynamics) and testimonies (stories about past deliverances) in front of our faces. Grace can teach us how to walk in love and forgiveness.

Jesus is doing miracles today. I want that to be my testimony.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment