Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Get On The Boat

It is funny when you suddenly see that there has been a 'theme' in your meditation that you didn't know was there.

I realize mine has been, 'What Jesus had and didn't have.'

"That evening they brought to him many who were oppressed by demons, and he cast out the spirits with a word and healed all who were sick. This was to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah: 'He took our illnesses and bore our diseases.' Now when Jesus saw a crowd around him, he gave orders to go over to the other side. And a scribe came up and said to him, 'Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.' And Jesus said to him, 'Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.' Another of the disciples said to him, 'Lord, let me first go and bury my father.' And Jesus said to him, 'Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead.' And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him." - Matthew 8:16-23 ESV

It is easy to lament about what we do or don't have. Jesus was aware of the voids in His life and yet He was without sin.

There are trade off aren't there?

Most of us are not rich but we have things that Jesus didn't have. Creature comforts. A set of mugs. Curtains. We buy the cheese we like at the store. We ride instead of walk. We get this instead of that.

Part of me says, 'There is nothing wrong with that.' but another part says, 'I want to be with Jesus... I want to be like Jesus...'

People want more but I often think people have too much. Societies have too much. Individuals are distant because what they have is blocking them from intimacy and provides temptation.

I'm not preaching poverty.

I just want to get on the boat when it is time to get on the boat. Some never pull away from shore because what they have holds them back from what Jesus has.

I identify with this person who wants to bury their father. They want time to do what is honorable. They want to make memories. They don't want to aleinate their family. I get it. Sure I do. Which one of us doesn't get that?

But...

The boat is leaving. Jesus is moving. He Is alive and going forward. He won't apologize for it either.

I want to encourage you to go with Him. I'm not telling you to give up everything but you already know that your ten suitcases aren't going to fit on that little boat. Your plans of comfort and security are not going to work fully into that trip.

The boat is going to depart today. Jesus Is going in an uncomfortable direction. Go with Him by faith. It won't be easy but you won't regret it... Later... I promise you... we won't regret it.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment